Please make http://ftp.squeak.org/current_stable/ redirect to http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/ (is 4.4 currently) [EOM]
Tobias Pape
2014-07-12 20:56:50 UTC
[eom]
David T. Lewis
2014-07-12 22:49:15 UTC
[eom]
Done.
David T. Lewis
2014-07-12 23:27:27 UTC
[eom]
Done.
Tobias pointed out that current_stable and current_development links on the
ftp server had not been updated, so I fixed that. But in the course of checking
that out I looked at the various download links on squeak.org, and it does not
really make a lot of sense to me.

Under "Downloads", the "Latest Squeak" link provides only the all-in-one, with
no indication to the new user that it is possible to download the image and VM
in the traditional manner.

Personally, I almost never use the all-in-one, but more importantly I would
expect that one of the first things that a new user of Squeak needs to grok
is the concept of running an image on a VM, so I think that a newcomer should
be aware of this right from the start. As an experienced Squeaker, I know
enough to always go to the ftp.squeak.org site if I want to download an image,
but I don't think a new user should be expected to figure that out.

The "Bleeding Edge" link seems strange also, because it takes the user to
the source.squeak.org site when I might have expected a link to 4.6alpha
for downloads.

Wouldn't it be good to have the "Downloads" tab provide links to the Squeak
all-in-one for the convenient quick start download, to the current_stable
directory for images, to the current_development directory for bleeding edge,
and to squeakvm.org for VMs? That would be accompanied by a brief explanation
of what these things are (older squeak.org sites had this, so we can probably
find the text). New users would be guided to download the all-in-one to
get started quickly, but they would at least be starting out with an idea
of what is in that all-in-one. And people who want to download a stable
image would find a link to it from the downloads page.

Dave
tim Rowledge
2014-07-13 03:41:45 UTC
Post by David T. Lewis
Wouldn't it be good to have the "Downloads" tab provide links to the Squeak
all-in-one for the convenient quick start download, to the current_stable
directory for images, to the current_development directory for bleeding edge,
and to squeakvm.org for VMs? That would be accompanied by a brief explanation
of what these things are (older squeak.org sites had this, so we can probably
find the text). New users would be guided to download the all-in-one to
get started quickly, but they would at least be starting out with an idea
of what is in that all-in-one. And people who want to download a stable
image would find a link to it from the downloads page.
Yes.

I suggest that the front page ?Download? column should have the mentions of the Documentation and Downloads pages made into links, for a start. It might be smart to relabel the big button to ?Download AllInOne? to be really clear.

The actual Downloads page ought to reiterate the value of the AllInOne for general use on recent x86 hardware and then explain the alternatives. It would be nice to have a simple zip of the 4.5 final & a recent trunk and maybe 4.4 image/changes files and of course an explanation that you need the sources zipfile too. Obviously we need pointers to relevant VM download & install pages.

tim
--
tim Rowledge; ***@rowledge.org; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Useful random insult:- If you give him a penny for his thoughts, you get change back.
Chris Cunnington
2014-07-13 18:57:09 UTC
I'm only partially grokking this as I'm travelling. You're not being
igored. I'll read this in depth in a day or two. If this doesn't concern me
of the homepage, then please ignore this post.

Chris
Post by David T. Lewis
[...]
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Chris Cunnington
I'm only partially grokking this as I'm travelling. You're not being
igored. I'll read this in depth in a day or two. If this doesn't concern me
of the homepage, then please ignore this post.
Chris
Thanks Chris,

Nothing urgent here, just some suggestions.

Dave