IBM se molesta en Seaside ?
Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene
2012-01-28 11:53:26 UTC
Este es el link

http://tinyurl.com/cqbl3

Espero que le tiren al menos unos pesos a Avi, es otro de los buenos tipos
que sabe.
Tuve el privilegio de trabajar con el en el SBlog

1GB gratis, Antivirus y Antispam
http://correo.yahoo.com.ar
Ron Teitelbaum
2012-01-28 11:53:26 UTC
Rusted at the station!!??

We should try hitting up IBM for support! I'm still amazed at how much
Smalltalk has survived and is being used, but nobody talks about it!

Ron Teitelbaum

http://correo.yahoo.com.ar
Andres Valloud
2012-01-28 11:53:26 UTC
Hello Ron,

Friday, November 11, 2005, 9:19:34 AM, you wrote:

RT> Rusted at the station!!??

However, language differences shouldn't matter if what is provided to
the business is easier to maintain, faster to develop, and has less
ownership costs. Just like the same paragraph says, right?

The argument seems to be messed up... because if that actually
happened, we'd be comparing the virtues of e.g. Smalltalk, Self and
Lisp more often than we talk about the problems of Java and .NET...
--
Best regards,
Andres mailto:***@optonline.net
Giovanni Giorgi
2012-01-28 11:53:26 UTC
Post by Andres Valloud
Hello Ron,
RT> Rusted at the station!!??
However, language differences shouldn't matter if what is provided to
the business is easier to maintain, faster to develop, and has less
ownership costs. Just like the same paragraph says, right?
I agree.
I am a true storng Squeak and Seaside fan, I have used seaside when
first showed up.

But I like much more the Rails "pragmatic" attitude, although I am a
theoric one and love a lot some of the discussion we do in squeak
dev, sometimes.
bye bye

--
In ufficio, sto spiegando ad una collega come ci organizzeremo per
rilasciare il nostro lavoro:
Lei:"Chi e' sto Marco?"
Andres Valloud
2012-01-28 11:53:26 UTC
Hello Giovanni,

GG> I agree. I am a true storng Squeak and Seaside fan, I have used
GG> seaside when first showed up.

I meant more Smalltalk in general.
stéphane ducasse
2012-01-28 11:53:27 UTC
Post by Giovanni Giorgi
Post by Andres Valloud
RT> Rusted at the station!!??
However, language differences shouldn't matter if what is provided to
the business is easier to maintain, faster to develop, and has less
ownership costs. Just like the same paragraph says, right?
I agree.
I am a true storng Squeak and Seaside fan, I have used seaside
when first showed up.
But I like much more the Rails "pragmatic" attitude,
which is?
bye bye
Giovanni Giorgi
2012-01-28 11:53:29 UTC
Post by stéphane ducasse
Post by Giovanni Giorgi
Post by Andres Valloud
RT> Rusted at the station!!??
However, language differences shouldn't matter if what is
provided to
the business is easier to maintain, faster to develop, and has less
ownership costs. Just like the same paragraph says, right?
I agree.
I am a true storng Squeak and Seaside fan, I have used seaside
when first showed up.
But I like much more the Rails "pragmatic" attitude,
which is?
When you download ruby on rails, you get a full develpement environment.
You can generate model, view and so on with one single command.
You have a script to migrate the db schema forward and back your last
changes.

The log is organized to give you performance measure on how much time
is spent on querying and how much on serving data.
You get 3 configuration (dev/test/production) and unit testing
integrated.

I can continue but what I stress is the strong organization and
simplicity you get out of the box with
little effort by yourself
I think it is very amazing.
Post by stéphane ducasse
Post by Giovanni Giorgi
although I am a theoric one and love a lot some of the discussion
we do in squeak dev, sometimes.
bye bye
--
Plus I remember being impressed with Ada because
you could write an infinite loop without a faked up condition. The idea
detonation. -Larry Wall [ [ [ JJ ] ] ]
Alexandre Bergel
2012-01-28 11:53:26 UTC
At oopsla, I did 3 demo of Seaside to some guys from IBM.
It is important to advertise Squeak/Smalltalk with the right word and
the right focus.

That's great!
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~bergel
Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene
2012-01-28 11:53:26 UTC
For error, I send this info destined to squeakros list to squeakdev list

Este es el link

http://tinyurl.com/cqbl3

Espero que le tiren al menos unos pesos a Avi, es otro de los buenos tipos
que sabe.
Tuve el privilegio de trabajar con el en el SBlog

I translated to who don't read Spanish.

This is the link.

http://tinyurl.com/cqbl3

I hope Avi gets some bucks, he is a very nice guy and I have the privilege
to collaborate with he in Sblog

1GB gratis, Antivirus y Antispam
http://correo.yahoo.com.ar
Chris Cunningham
2012-01-28 11:53:31 UTC
Post by Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene
http://tinyurl.com/cqbl3
I found the comment in the article about assignment interesting: "The
underscore means assign." (about 1/2 of the way through).

Looks like we now have 3 ways of showing assignment:
:=
_
<assignment graphic>

Of course, the assignment graphic (left arrow) doesn't work in unmodified
fonts currently - such as are found in browsers.

-Chris
stéphane ducasse
2012-01-28 11:53:32 UTC
in 66704 this is now fixed.
When you type _ you get _
And you see _ if this is written _
Stef
-Chris
Giovanni Corriga
2012-01-28 11:53:32 UTC
Post by stéphane ducasse
in 66704 this is now fixed.
When you type _ you get _
And you see _ if this is written _
I'm curious... is there a keyboard combo to get the old back arrow
glyph? Or do I have to used the Keybinding package for that?

Giovanni
Bert Freudenberg
2012-01-28 11:53:32 UTC
Post by Giovanni Corriga
Post by stéphane ducasse
in 66704 this is now fixed.
When you type _ you get _
And you see _ if this is written _
I'm curious... is there a keyboard combo to get the old back arrow
glyph? Or do I have to used the Keybinding package for that?
In the thread about fixing underscores I sent a changeset for that.
Not sure what it's useful for, though.

- Bert -
Mart-Mari Breedt
2012-01-28 11:53:32 UTC
We find it very useful when using imageWithForm: to render morphs to a web page. Normally when you had _ in a piece of text it would still appear as an arrow even when using imageWithForm:. With Bert's changeset we do not have that problem anymore.

Mart-Mari