The new site looks great! [EOM]
Casey Ransberger
2014-03-23 22:38:32 UTC
Chris Muller
2014-03-24 02:07:49 UTC
I hope you don't actually like that yellow checkerboard, do you? I
think fixing that would help the aesthetics, It practically makes me
cross-eyed.

It would be nice if the Squeak logo would be displayed somewhere on the site.

I would like to see the old site available from the "Archive" tab.

I think the Projects tab should promote _Squeak_ projects and let
pharo.org promote the Pharo projects.

I like to read Craig's blog, could we get a link to his blog too from
the Blogs link?

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Casey Ransberger
Marcel Taeumel
2014-03-25 09:45:33 UTC
As for the background: Maybe we could use a more subtle pattern:
http://subtlepatterns.com/ (maybe even for the next Squeak release).

Marcel Taeumel
2014-03-25 09:43:47 UTC
I think the colors are all messed up and the spacing needs to be fixed. The
forward/backward buttons besides the central screenshot have a strange
offset upwards. The screenshots are kind of confusing and do not actually
promote the features they aim to visualize.

How about applying some visual concepts that are well known from other
popular sites? Hmmm... what about Twitter's Bootstrap? Or, to get started,
we could use a harmonizing color scheme. -> http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Maybe we can promote our features in tiles like www.fogcreek.com does. Big,
sliding screenshots could be used for cool projects that actually use that
features. Maybe we can just get rid of that slideshow because the site
visitor has almost no control about it. And it does present those features
at a glance. I found this interesting to read:
http://www.nngroup.com/articles/auto-forwarding/

"Squeak is a modern, open source, full-featured implementation of the
powerful Smalltalk programming language and environment. Squeak is
highly-portable, running on almost any platform you could name and you can
really truly write once run anywhere. Squeak is the vehicle for a wide range
of projects from multimedia applications and educational platforms to
commercial web application development. Read on and join in!" --- What are
the definitions of "modern" and "powerful"? Do we need those adjectives?
Isn't it paradox to say "highly-portable" and "almost any platform" in one
sentence? How does "really truly" provide any argument to a site visitor?
What actually *is* the target group of this advertisement? ;)

Most importantly: The download link on the home page should be *above the
fold*

Just my two cents. :-)

Best,
Marcel

Chris Cunnington
2014-03-25 16:40:20 UTC
Hi Marcel,

Those are some worthwhile criticisms. If you post them on the webteam list, then there will be a record of them in a place where they can be of some use.

Thanks,
Chris
Marcel Taeumel
2014-03-25 18:51:57 UTC
Hi Chris,

why are there so many mailing lists? :-/ I think that the webteam should be
a frequent reader of squeak-dev. :)

Best,
Marcel

Chris Cunnington
2014-03-25 21:19:09 UTC
Post by Marcel Taeumel
why are there so many mailing lists? :-/ I think that the webteam should be
a frequent reader of squeak-dev. :)
That's a good question. I don't know.

Chris
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Chris Cunnington
Post by Marcel Taeumel
why are there so many mailing lists? :-/ I think that the webteam should be
a frequent reader of squeak-dev. :)
That's a good question. I don't know.
The webteam list is more about administering the website, and boring
admin/infrastructure stuff. It would be great if people posted website
bugs there, but I have no problem with people posting the same kinds
of issues here. Anyone reading the webteam list should also be reading
squeak-dev because hey, it's the main list.

frank
Chris
Casey Ransberger
2014-03-26 01:49:26 UTC
There are always things that can be improved. Mainly what I'm liking here,
though...

- Larger text looks better on crazy high rez displays.

- Less clutter removes distraction from primary use cases, like...

- ...easily finding the current all-in-one.

Deltas might include:

- Higher contrast in the text would help.

- Sidebars might make sense, as much of the content is currently below the
fold (at least on my display.)

- Maybe the pattern in the background could be replaced:)

Overall though, I think it's a step in the right direction.

Cheers,

Casey
Post by Casey Ransberger
- Maybe the pattern in the background could be replaced:)
Yea, OK. It sucked. I've changed it. You're dentist will love it.
You have to admit, though. You're a pretty rough crowd.

Post by Chris Cunnington
Post by Casey Ransberger
- Maybe the pattern in the background could be replaced:)
Yea, OK. It sucked. I've changed it. You're dentist will love it.
You have to admit, though. You're a pretty rough crowd.
Tough crowd is good. That's how you know people are paying attention :-)

The new Cog VM text looks good, and the link to Newspeak from the projects
page is great.

I think the "Virtual Machine" link on the top of the page should point us to
squeakvm.org, yes?

There have recently been some very impressive announcements from Michael Perscheid
about the Path Tools Framework:

https://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/trac/SqueakCommunityProjects/wiki/pathToolsFramework

I'm not sure any of us has had a chance to digest it, but this is clearly some
very impressive work, so maybe we can give it some exposure by linking it from
our "Projects" tab.

Dave
Eliot Miranda
2014-03-26 05:34:33 UTC
Post by David T. Lewis
Post by Chris Cunnington
Post by Casey Ransberger
- Maybe the pattern in the background could be replaced:)
Yea, OK. It sucked. I've changed it. You're dentist will love it.
You have to admit, though. You're a pretty rough crowd.
Tough crowd is good. That's how you know people are paying attention :-)
The new Cog VM text looks good, and the link to Newspeak from the projects
page is great.
I think the "Virtual Machine" link on the top of the page should point us to
squeakvm.org, yes?
No, cuz that's where the More... link on the VM text also points.
Personally I prefer Virtual Machine getting to that text. We can improve
it and add links to the bottom. But it already points to squeakvm.org via
the first link in the Virtual Machine text.

There have recently been some very impressive announcements from Michael
Perscheid
--
best,
Eliot
Post by David T. Lewis
There have recently been some very impressive announcements from Michael Perscheid
about the Path Tools Framework
OK. I'll add a link in the Projects section.
Eliot's right about the link to squeakvm.org. It's the first at the bottom of the Virtual Machine page.

Chris
Raymond Asselin

Chris
Chris Muller
2014-03-26 22:59:17 UTC
Yes, Magma is currently only released for Squeak 4.4, but I will
prepare a release for 4.5 soon.

I hope everyone will release new versions of their projects for 4.5
(and for each new release of Squeak, in fact).

I could be wrong, but Phobos might be a Pharo-only project.
Chris
Pavel Krivanek
2014-04-15 13:52:12 UTC
Post by Chris Muller
Yes, Magma is currently only released for Squeak 4.4, but I will
prepare a release for 4.5 soon.
I hope everyone will release new versions of their projects for 4.5
(and for each new release of Squeak, in fact).
I could be wrong, but Phobos might be a Pharo-only project.
Phobos has WebClient support so it can run on Squeak but it will be not
maintained if there will be no interest from the Squeak community
(currently there is none). The latest configurations stopped to take Squeak
into account.

-- Pavel
Post by Chris Muller
Post by Raymond Asselin
The link that Chris sent suggest that Magma is for squeak 4.4. What
about Squeak 4.5 ?
Post by Raymond Asselin
Raymond
Post by Raymond Asselin
Post by Chris Muller
Post by David T. Lewis
Post by David T. Lewis
Perscheid
about the Path Tools Framework
OK. I'll add a link in the Projects section.
Eliot's right about the link to squeakvm.org. It's the first at the
bottom
Post by Raymond Asselin
Post by Chris Muller
Post by David T. Lewis