Discussion:
The Inbox: Tools-pre.659.mcz
(too old to reply)
c***@source.squeak.org
0000-12-13 00:07:14 UTC
Permalink
A new version of Tools was added to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-pre.659.mcz

==================== Summary ====================

Name: Tools-pre.659
Author: pre
Time: 8 December 2015, 7:16:41.034 pm
UUID: a7cb3cba-074b-46a6-8a83-fada58007b25
Ancestors: Tools-eem.658

This adds balloon help texts to the message list of the standard browser to explain the symbols shown in front of message names.

=============== Diff against Tools-eem.658 ===============

Item was changed:
----- Method: Browser>>messageHelpAt: (in category 'message list') -----
messageHelpAt: anIndex
"Show the first n lines of the sources code of the selected message."

+ | source formatted |
- | source formatted lineCount |
Preferences balloonHelpInMessageLists ifFalse: [^ nil].
self messageList size < anIndex ifTrue: [^ nil].

source := (self selectedClassOrMetaClass >> (self messageList at: anIndex)) getSource.
+ source lineCount > 5 ifTrue: [
+ | sourceLines |
+ sourceLines := (source asString lines copyFrom: 1 to: 5) asOrderedCollection.
+ sourceLines add: ' [...]'.
+ source := sourceLines joinSeparatedBy: Character cr].
+
formatted := SHTextStylerST80 new
classOrMetaClass: self selectedClassOrMetaClass;
styledTextFor: source asText.
-
- lineCount := 0.
- source doWithIndex: [:char :index |
- char = Character cr ifTrue: [lineCount := lineCount + 1].
- lineCount > 10 ifTrue: [
- formatted := formatted copyFrom: 1 to: index-1.
- formatted append: ' [...]'.
- ^ formatted]].

+ ^ (Text newFrom: ((self messageIconHelpAt: anIndex) ifNotEmpty: [:t | t , Character cr, Character cr]))
+ append: formatted;
+ yourself!
- ^ formatted!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: Browser>>messageIconHelpAt: (in category 'message list') -----
+ messageIconHelpAt: anIndex
+
+ self class showMessageIcons
+ ifFalse: [^ nil].
+
+ ^ ToolIconHelp iconHelpNamed: (ToolIcons
+ iconForClass: self selectedClassOrMetaClass
+ selector: (self messageList at: anIndex))!

Item was added:
+ Object subclass: #ToolIconHelp
+ instanceVariableNames: ''
+ classVariableNames: 'HelpTexts'
+ poolDictionaries: ''
+ category: 'Tools-Base'!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: ToolIconHelp class>>abstract (in category 'as yet unclassified') -----
+ abstract
+
+ ^ 'This method is abstract.' !

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: ToolIconHelp class>>arrowDown (in category 'as yet unclassified') -----
+ arrowDown
+
+ ^ 'This method is overriden by another method.'!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: ToolIconHelp class>>arrowUp (in category 'as yet unclassified') -----
+ arrowUp
+
+ ^ 'This method overrides a super method.'!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: ToolIconHelp class>>arrowUpAndDown (in category 'as yet unclassified') -----
+ arrowUpAndDown
+
+ ^ 'This method overrides and is overridden by other methods.'!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: ToolIconHelp class>>blank (in category 'as yet unclassified') -----
+ blank
+
+ ^ ''!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: ToolIconHelp class>>breakpoint (in category 'as yet unclassified') -----
+ breakpoint
+
+ ^ 'This method contains a breakpoint.'!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: ToolIconHelp class>>flag (in category 'as yet unclassified') -----
+ flag
+
+ ^ 'This method needs attention of some kind.' !

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: ToolIconHelp class>>helpTexts (in category 'as yet unclassified') -----
+ helpTexts
+
+ ^ HelpTexts ifNil: [HelpTexts := IdentityDictionary new]!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: ToolIconHelp class>>iconHelpNamed: (in category 'as yet unclassified') -----
+ iconHelpNamed: aSymbol
+
+ (self respondsTo: aSymbol)
+ ifTrue: [^self helpTexts at: aSymbol ifAbsentPut: [self perform: aSymbol]]
+ ifFalse: [^ '']
+ !

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: ToolIconHelp class>>no (in category 'as yet unclassified') -----
+ no
+
+ ^ 'This method should not be implemented.' !

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: ToolIconHelp class>>notOverridden (in category 'as yet unclassified') -----
+ notOverridden
+
+ ^ 'This method is abstract and has not been overridden.' !

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: ToolIconHelp class>>primitive (in category 'as yet unclassified') -----
+ primitive
+
+ ^ 'This method implements a primitive.'!
karl ramberg
2015-12-08 21:47:13 UTC
Permalink
Nice.

Best,
Karl

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 7:16 PM, <***@source.squeak.org> wrote:

> A new version of Tools was added to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-pre.659.mcz
>
> ==================== Summary ====================
>
> Name: Tools-pre.659
> Author: pre
> Time: 8 December 2015, 7:16:41.034 pm
> UUID: a7cb3cba-074b-46a6-8a83-fada58007b25
> Ancestors: Tools-eem.658
>
> This adds balloon help texts to the message list of the standard browser
> to explain the symbols shown in front of message names.
>
> =============== Diff against Tools-eem.658 ===============
>
> Item was changed:
> ----- Method: Browser>>messageHelpAt: (in category 'message list') -----
> messageHelpAt: anIndex
> "Show the first n lines of the sources code of the selected
> message."
>
> + | source formatted |
> - | source formatted lineCount |
> Preferences balloonHelpInMessageLists ifFalse: [^ nil].
> self messageList size < anIndex ifTrue: [^ nil].
>
> source := (self selectedClassOrMetaClass >> (self messageList at:
> anIndex)) getSource.
> + source lineCount > 5 ifTrue: [
> + | sourceLines |
> + sourceLines := (source asString lines copyFrom: 1 to: 5)
> asOrderedCollection.
> + sourceLines add: ' [...]'.
> + source := sourceLines joinSeparatedBy: Character cr].
> +
> formatted := SHTextStylerST80 new
> classOrMetaClass: self selectedClassOrMetaClass;
> styledTextFor: source asText.
> -
> - lineCount := 0.
> - source doWithIndex: [:char :index |
> - char = Character cr ifTrue: [lineCount := lineCount + 1].
> - lineCount > 10 ifTrue: [
> - formatted := formatted copyFrom: 1 to: index-1.
> - formatted append: ' [...]'.
> - ^ formatted]].
>
> + ^ (Text newFrom: ((self messageIconHelpAt: anIndex) ifNotEmpty:
> [:t | t , Character cr, Character cr]))
> + append: formatted;
> + yourself!
> - ^ formatted!
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: Browser>>messageIconHelpAt: (in category 'message list')
> -----
> + messageIconHelpAt: anIndex
> +
> + self class showMessageIcons
> + ifFalse: [^ nil].
> +
> + ^ ToolIconHelp iconHelpNamed: (ToolIcons
> + iconForClass: self selectedClassOrMetaClass
> + selector: (self messageList at: anIndex))!
>
> Item was added:
> + Object subclass: #ToolIconHelp
> + instanceVariableNames: ''
> + classVariableNames: 'HelpTexts'
> + poolDictionaries: ''
> + category: 'Tools-Base'!
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: ToolIconHelp class>>abstract (in category 'as yet
> unclassified') -----
> + abstract
> +
> + ^ 'This method is abstract.' !
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: ToolIconHelp class>>arrowDown (in category 'as yet
> unclassified') -----
> + arrowDown
> +
> + ^ 'This method is overriden by another method.'!
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: ToolIconHelp class>>arrowUp (in category 'as yet
> unclassified') -----
> + arrowUp
> +
> + ^ 'This method overrides a super method.'!
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: ToolIconHelp class>>arrowUpAndDown (in category 'as yet
> unclassified') -----
> + arrowUpAndDown
> +
> + ^ 'This method overrides and is overridden by other methods.'!
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: ToolIconHelp class>>blank (in category 'as yet
> unclassified') -----
> + blank
> +
> + ^ ''!
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: ToolIconHelp class>>breakpoint (in category 'as yet
> unclassified') -----
> + breakpoint
> +
> + ^ 'This method contains a breakpoint.'!
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: ToolIconHelp class>>flag (in category 'as yet
> unclassified') -----
> + flag
> +
> + ^ 'This method needs attention of some kind.' !
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: ToolIconHelp class>>helpTexts (in category 'as yet
> unclassified') -----
> + helpTexts
> +
> + ^ HelpTexts ifNil: [HelpTexts := IdentityDictionary new]!
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: ToolIconHelp class>>iconHelpNamed: (in category 'as yet
> unclassified') -----
> + iconHelpNamed: aSymbol
> +
> + (self respondsTo: aSymbol)
> + ifTrue: [^self helpTexts at: aSymbol ifAbsentPut: [self
> perform: aSymbol]]
> + ifFalse: [^ '']
> + !
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: ToolIconHelp class>>no (in category 'as yet unclassified')
> -----
> + no
> +
> + ^ 'This method should not be implemented.' !
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: ToolIconHelp class>>notOverridden (in category 'as yet
> unclassified') -----
> + notOverridden
> +
> + ^ 'This method is abstract and has not been overridden.' !
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: ToolIconHelp class>>primitive (in category 'as yet
> unclassified') -----
> + primitive
> +
> + ^ 'This method implements a primitive.'!
>
>
>
David T. Lewis
2015-12-09 00:03:32 UTC
Permalink
On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 10:47:13PM +0100, karl ramberg wrote:
>
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 7:16 PM, <***@source.squeak.org> wrote:
>
> > A new version of Tools was added to project The Inbox:
> > http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-pre.659.mcz
> >
> > ==================== Summary ====================
> >
> > Name: Tools-pre.659
> > Author: pre
> > Time: 8 December 2015, 7:16:41.034 pm
> > UUID: a7cb3cba-074b-46a6-8a83-fada58007b25
> > Ancestors: Tools-eem.658
> >
> > This adds balloon help texts to the message list of the standard browser
> > to explain the symbols shown in front of message names.
> >
>
> Nice.
>
> Best,
> Karl

This sounds really good, but are there more updates on the way? I loaded
Tools-pre.659, but I do not see balloon help when I hold the mouse cursor
over the icons.

Thanks,
Dave
karl ramberg
2015-12-09 05:07:20 UTC
Permalink
Turn on Preferences balloonHelpInMessageLists

Best,
Karl

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 1:03 AM, David T. Lewis <***@mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 10:47:13PM +0100, karl ramberg wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 7:16 PM, <***@source.squeak.org> wrote:
> >
> > > A new version of Tools was added to project The Inbox:
> > > http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-pre.659.mcz
> > >
> > > ==================== Summary ====================
> > >
> > > Name: Tools-pre.659
> > > Author: pre
> > > Time: 8 December 2015, 7:16:41.034 pm
> > > UUID: a7cb3cba-074b-46a6-8a83-fada58007b25
> > > Ancestors: Tools-eem.658
> > >
> > > This adds balloon help texts to the message list of the standard
> browser
> > > to explain the symbols shown in front of message names.
> > >
> >
> > Nice.
> >
> > Best,
> > Karl
>
> This sounds really good, but are there more updates on the way? I loaded
> Tools-pre.659, but I do not see balloon help when I hold the mouse cursor
> over the icons.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
>
>
>
David T. Lewis
2015-12-09 05:22:07 UTC
Permalink
On Wed, Dec 09, 2015 at 06:07:20AM +0100, karl ramberg wrote:
>
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 1:03 AM, David T. Lewis <***@mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 10:47:13PM +0100, karl ramberg wrote:
> > >
> > > On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 7:16 PM, <***@source.squeak.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > > A new version of Tools was added to project The Inbox:
> > > > http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-pre.659.mcz
> > > >
> > > > ==================== Summary ====================
> > > >
> > > > Name: Tools-pre.659
> > > > Author: pre
> > > > Time: 8 December 2015, 7:16:41.034 pm
> > > > UUID: a7cb3cba-074b-46a6-8a83-fada58007b25
> > > > Ancestors: Tools-eem.658
> > > >
> > > > This adds balloon help texts to the message list of the standard
> > browser
> > > > to explain the symbols shown in front of message names.
> > > >
> > >
> > > Nice.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Karl
> >
> > This sounds really good, but are there more updates on the way? I loaded
> > Tools-pre.659, but I do not see balloon help when I hold the mouse cursor
> > over the icons.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dave
> >
> >
> >
>
> Turn on Preferences balloonHelpInMessageLists

Ah, I see it now. Very nice!

Patrick, I hope you do not mind if I push this to trunk, it seems like
and obviously good change. Thanks!

Dave
Rein, Patrick
2015-12-10 07:45:18 UTC
Permalink
Not at all!
This was inspired by a suggestion from Robert by the way :)

Bests
Patrick
________________________________________
Von: squeak-dev-***@lists.squeakfoundation.org <squeak-dev-***@lists.squeakfoundation.org> im Auftrag von David T. Lewis <***@mail.msen.com>
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 9. Dezember 2015 06:22
An: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
Betreff: Re: [squeak-dev] The Inbox: Tools-pre.659.mcz

On Wed, Dec 09, 2015 at 06:07:20AM +0100, karl ramberg wrote:
>
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 1:03 AM, David T. Lewis <***@mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 10:47:13PM +0100, karl ramberg wrote:
> > >
> > > On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 7:16 PM, <***@source.squeak.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > > A new version of Tools was added to project The Inbox:
> > > > http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-pre.659.mcz
> > > >
> > > > ==================== Summary ====================
> > > >
> > > > Name: Tools-pre.659
> > > > Author: pre
> > > > Time: 8 December 2015, 7:16:41.034 pm
> > > > UUID: a7cb3cba-074b-46a6-8a83-fada58007b25
> > > > Ancestors: Tools-eem.658
> > > >
> > > > This adds balloon help texts to the message list of the standard
> > browser
> > > > to explain the symbols shown in front of message names.
> > > >
> > >
> > > Nice.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Karl
> >
> > This sounds really good, but are there more updates on the way? I loaded
> > Tools-pre.659, but I do not see balloon help when I hold the mouse cursor
> > over the icons.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dave
> >
> >
> >
>
> Turn on Preferences balloonHelpInMessageLists

Ah, I see it now. Very nice!

Patrick, I hope you do not mind if I push this to trunk, it seems like
and obviously good change. Thanks!

Dave
Bert Freudenberg
2015-12-10 14:06:29 UTC
Permalink
On 10.12.2015, at 08:45, Rein, Patrick <***@hpi.de> wrote:
>
> This was inspired by a suggestion from Robert by the way :)
>
> Bests
> Patrick
>
> On Wed, Dec 09, 2015 at 06:07:20AM +0100, karl ramberg wrote:
>>
>> Turn on Preferences balloonHelpInMessageLists


Why do we need a preference for this?

- Bert -
marcel.taeumel
2015-12-10 17:03:11 UTC
Permalink
I don't know. There has been one for a long time. It just never worked. :-)

Best,
Marcel



--
View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/The-Inbox-Tools-pre-659-mcz-tp4866102p4866519.html
Sent from the Squeak - Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
karl ramberg
2015-12-10 17:36:36 UTC
Permalink
The balloons may take a little time getting used to, and they may not be
everyone's favorite, because they are quite big and obscures the list.

Best,
Karl

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 6:03 PM, marcel.taeumel <***@hpi.de>
wrote:

> I don't know. There has been one for a long time. It just never worked. :-)
>
> Best,
> Marcel
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://forum.world.st/The-Inbox-Tools-pre-659-mcz-tp4866102p4866519.html
> Sent from the Squeak - Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
>
Bert Freudenberg
2015-12-10 18:31:37 UTC
Permalink
On 10.12.2015, at 18:36, karl ramberg <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The balloons may take a little time getting used to, and they may not be everyone's favorite, because they are quite big and obscures the list.


We might have a preference to turn off all help balloons for people bothered by them. If someone complains. Which may or may not happen ;)

But individual preferences to disable some balloons do not seem useful to me. In any case it should be *enabled* by default. I for one would be happy to see help for all UI elements.

- Bert -
karl ramberg
2015-12-10 18:36:58 UTC
Permalink
On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 7:31 PM, Bert Freudenberg <***@freudenbergs.de>
wrote:

> On 10.12.2015, at 18:36, karl ramberg <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The balloons may take a little time getting used to, and they may not be
> everyone's favorite, because they are quite big and obscures the list.
>
>
> We might have a preference to turn off all help balloons for people
> bothered by them. If someone complains. Which may or may not happen ;)
>

Yes, general preference for all balloon help seems more reasonable.

Best,
Karl

>
> But individual preferences to disable some balloons do not seem useful to
> me. In any case it should be *enabled* by default. I for one would be happy
> to see help for all UI elements.
>
> - Bert -
>
>
>
Stéphane Rollandin
2015-12-10 18:56:13 UTC
Permalink
> Yes, general preference for all balloon help seems more reasonable.

Please reconsider.

Some applications may define their own balloons and want them to appear
(or let the user choose), while at the same time allowing other balloons
such as the message lists ones to be turned off.

It is a matter of workflow and management of the attention of the
application user. I think there are no hard rules here.

So having the possibility to turn off help balloons selectively is a
good thing IMO, even if it is a little more complex to implement.

Stef
karl ramberg
2015-12-10 19:15:52 UTC
Permalink
On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 7:56 PM, Stéphane Rollandin <***@zogotounga.net>
wrote:

> Yes, general preference for all balloon help seems more reasonable.
>>
>
> Please reconsider.
>
> Some applications may define their own balloons and want them to appear
> (or let the user choose), while at the same time allowing other balloons
> such as the message lists ones to be turned off.
>
> It is a matter of workflow and management of the attention of the
> application user. I think there are no hard rules here.
>
> So having the possibility to turn off help balloons selectively is a good
> thing IMO, even if it is a little more complex to implement.
>
> Stef
>
> Ok, sounds reasonable.
But the preferences list is quite overwhelming and ever expanding.

Best,
Karl
Stéphane Rollandin
2015-12-10 19:37:33 UTC
Permalink
> But the preferences list is quite overwhelming and ever expanding.

Then maybe we could implement preferences themes ? "Experienced user
mode", "Novice mode", "Developer mode", specific application mode...
(another layer of complexity I'm afraid... but possibly making things
simpler in the end)

Stef
karl ramberg
2015-12-10 19:56:24 UTC
Permalink
On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 8:37 PM, Stéphane Rollandin <***@zogotounga.net>
wrote:

> But the preferences list is quite overwhelming and ever expanding.
>>
>
> Then maybe we could implement preferences themes ? "Experienced user
> mode", "Novice mode", "Developer mode", specific application mode...
> (another layer of complexity I'm afraid... but possibly making things
> simpler in the end)
>
> Stef
>

I want tool specific preferences to be reached from the window menu of the
tool. That way the organization could be delegated to each tool and not
reside in a gigantic list with many categories.

But it's a big job to reorganize it.

Best,
Karl
Stéphane Rollandin
2015-12-10 18:37:08 UTC
Permalink
>> The balloons may take a little time getting used to, and they may not be everyone's favorite, because they are quite big and obscures the list.
>
>
> We might have a preference to turn off all help balloons for people bothered by them. If someone complains. Which may or may not happen ;)

I would definitely turn that off. But of course I don't mind if it's on
by default...

Stef
Loading...