board candidacy (was: Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Squeak Oversight Board Election 2011!!!)
Chris Muller
2012-01-28 12:42:28 UTC
The last year has been a real privilege for me to get to practice my
stewardship of Squeak. I would like to re-up.

I haven't seen any other candidacy announcements. Anyone nervous
about running due to concerns about time or homework, I'd just like to
say, being on the board has not been a lot of work. Basically we just
meet twice per month in a Teleplace meeting room at a time that is
good for everyone. Even then, we often operate with 1 or 2 missing
persons; we're volunteers.

The plus-side is the opportunity to converse with others who share an
interest in Squeak, syncronously rather than just through e-mail.
It's a good mindshare which can be practical for brainstorming ideas
quickly.

Even if I am the only candidate to vote for, there is no guarantee
that I would win the Supreme Ruler throne since I would still have to
beat out the "nobody" candidate - that's pretty scary. :)

I will not have e-mail access starting tomorrow night until April 3rd,
which is voting day! So I'm afraid my campaign must conclude here.

If there will be a Squeak board for 2011, I'm running for it.

- Chris
Fellow Squeakers,
Approximately one year has passed (cough, cough) and it is high time for yet
another Squeak Oversight Board Election!
Every year we elect the SOB (Squeak Oversight Board) consisting of seven
? ? ? ?http://www.squeak.org/Foundation/Board
Everything about the election, including schedule and more, can be tracked
? ? http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6162
Since the election process has not been reformed during this last year, the
schedule and process of the Election is as "usual" which follows (reserved
*** Now through 27th March: Nominations of SOB members and campaigning!
Candidates should nominate themselves and start their campaign on the
squeak-dev mailing list. Or if you nominate someone else, make sure that
person really wants to run. :) I will not put anyone on the candidate list
until that person makes it known on squeak-dev that he/she does run.
*** 27th March: The candidate list is finalized.
*** 27th March to 3rd April: Continued campaigning period
During this period, the candidates should ideally present themselves on
squeak-dev, unless they have already done so, and the community can ask
questions.
*** 3rd April 6PM (18.00 UTC): Online election starts
The voting period is one week long and ballots are sent out via email.
And how do you end up on the voter list? See below. :)
IMPORTANT: New voters will NOT be added once the election is started. You
MUST try to get on the voter list before the 3rd April or you will NOT be
able to vote.
*** 10th April 6PM (18.00 UTC): Online election ends
Results will be announced immediately when the election ends.
--------------------------
If you were invited to vote last year you are already on the voter list, no
? ? * Get a "known" Squeaker to vouch for you. If a known Squeaker
sends an email to voters at squeak.org giving me name and email for you,
then I will add you.
? ? * Send an email to voters at squeak.org yourself (and CC to squeak-dev
if you like) with information/arguments showing me that you are indeed
serious about voting and that you are indeed a Squeaker. And no, I don't
have any hints on what you should write! :) Unless you totally screw that
up, you will probably be added.
When the voting period starts all voters will receive an email with
instructions and a link to the voting website.
If there are any further questions, just reply *in this thread* and I
will closely track it - or send email to voters at squeak.org which points
to me.
...so let's get on with it!
regards, G?ran Krampe
Casey Ransberger

regards, G?ran Krampe
Randal L. Schwartz
2012-01-28 12:42:28 UTC
Casey> Zoiks, do we not have any other takers?

I was going to hold back a bit to see if there was a flood of new
talent, but seeing as that hasn't happened yet :-), I'll officially
announce my candidacy for what will be my fourth consecutive year on the
board.

I may or may not have a detailed position statement before the
deadline. The short version is:

- 3 years on the SOB and nothing's blown up yet on my watch
- helped get Squeak 4.0 out, and get SFC to like us
- talk about Squeak a bit in public places
- now more than ever a Squeak user for commercial apps
- apparently a key player on the box admin team now
- already know what being on the board is like == no startup time
- already have Teleplace installed for the virtual board meetings

To be fair: reasons not to vote for me:

- My time is a bit more limited as I dig myself out of my nearly fatal
financial hole. I've been missing a lot of SOB meetings, and not
taking on very many tasks.
- I'm old blood, not new blood, if you think new blood would be better.
<***@stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
Andreas Raab
2012-01-28 12:42:28 UTC
Post by Casey Ransberger
Zoiks, do we not have any other takers?
I'll pass this year. I've found my priorities to change and while I
still have an occasional hour to do a bit of Squeak stuff, the little
time I can spend on Squeak I'd rather be hacking than in board meetings
:-) (no offense to the meetings btw, they're fun and you get to know
people who you may only have heard the name of)
Post by Casey Ransberger
Would it help motivate people to run if I ran? Y'all prolly don't want me running the show after two short years:)
Why not? It's not like you'd be running the show all by yourself. Fresh
blood and new ideas are always welcome.

Cheers,
- Andreas
Ron Teitelbaum
2012-01-28 12:42:29 UTC
Hi Andreas,

Thank you for severing the past few years. You did a great job!!!

Ron
- Andreas
David Corking
2012-01-28 12:42:28 UTC
Are the existing SOB members automatic candidates unless they say otherwise?

David
Göran Krampe
2012-01-28 12:42:28 UTC
Post by David Corking
Are the existing SOB members automatic candidates unless they say otherwise?
Nope. :)

regards, G?ran
Bert Freudenberg
2012-01-28 12:42:29 UTC
Post by David Corking
Are the existing SOB members automatic candidates unless they say otherwise?
Not automatically, they have to declare they are running again.

FWIW, I'm willing to serve again. So consider me a candidate.

I always have less time for Squeak than I'd like, but I made it to almost every Board meeting. I gave Squeak talks at ESUG in Barcelona, and at SCaLE9x in L.A. Most of the little spare-time I could spend coding went into Etoys, but at least I'm occasionally posting to squeak-dev ;) I'd be honored to get re-elected.

That said, I'd like to encourage more folks to run. It really is not much "work" - we meet twice a month for an hour, and do the rest by email.

It was very refreshing to get Chris and Juan on board (pun intended), so I'm looking forward to have new members.

Also, please encourage others to step up, privately or on-list. I'm pretty sure some need just a little "nudge". Or just nominate someone you would like to see on the board.

- Bert -
Bert Freudenberg
2012-01-28 12:42:29 UTC
Just for reference, here are the past election results:

2010:
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru/cgi-perl/civs/results.pl?id=E_716d8c257e6cf36b

2009:
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru/cgi-perl/civs/results.pl?id=E_f48a814ea5d852de

2008:
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru/cgi-perl/civs/results.pl?id=E_d38cc27709a65b64

2007:
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru/cgi-perl/civs/results.pl?id=E_be84b060864afc59

2006:
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru/cgi-perl/civs/results.pl?id=E_8c2bcb5151df7e75

- Bert -
Bert Freudenberg
2012-01-28 12:42:32 UTC
Maybe someone could help out G?ran by referencing the candidate's posts at

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6162

Thanks!

- Bert -
- Bert -
Göran Krampe
2012-01-28 12:42:32 UTC
Post by Bert Freudenberg
Maybe someone could help out G?ran by referencing the candidate's posts at
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6162
I will fix it, sorry. :)

regards, G?ran

Juan Vuletich
2012-01-28 12:42:29 UTC
Hi Folks,

I'm not running this year. Board meetings are friendly and fun, and I
had a very good time being in. But I don't think my presence last year
was very useful, and there are better people for that than me. I think
the Squeak boards needs people with the following skills / roles:
- Frequent commiters and original developers of significant parts of
Squeal and support tools. People who actually contribute to Squeak trunk
should be making decisions and leading the community.
- People with strong investments in Squeak, mainly developers of
applications (commercial or not, but with many users) should be represented.
- Developers of packages and frameworks for Squeak, especially if those
are multi-dialect.
- Communicators with other communities, organization and industrial and
academic people.
- People willing to commit effort for the development of Squeak, even if
they don't fall into any of the above.
- People willing to understand the needs and possibilities of the
community, and able to turn that into a mid/long term vision. I guess
this is the hardest of all.

The people I'd like to see running for the board includes:
- Current Board members: Andreas, Bert, Chris, Craig, Jecel and Randal
(you all did a great job!).
- Levente
- Nicolas
- David
- Eliot
- Igor
- Casey
- Bernhard Pieber
- Mathew
- Hilarie
- Colin
- Stephane Rollandin
- Chris Cunnington
- Nikolay
- Ricardo Mor?n
- Javier Pim?s
- Someone from Seaside, Aida, Iliad, Gemstone and other high-impact projects
- Getting interest from the Scratch people would be wonderful. Same for
NewSpeak.
- We already have on the board or on the above list people from Cog, VM
dev, Etoys, Cobalt, DrGeo, muO, SqueakNOS and several other important
projects.

I'm sure I must be forgetting people and projects and I apologize for
that. Anyway, I think all these people are more important than me on the
board. Please folks, consider running for the Board!

Also, I want this to start a discussion about who and why we want on the
Board. Please answer with your own thoughts on all this!

Myself, I'm not a frequent trunk commiter, I'm not developing apps or
packages for Squeak (I do that for Cuis) and I'm not a great
communicator. I do, however have a mid / long term vision for what a
free Smalltalk system should be, and I'm following it with Cuis. I
wholeheartedly support cherry-picking from Cuis for Squeak and
derivatives, and I appreciate and support people doing so. But it still
seems that my vision doesn't fit the majority of the community. And the
Squeak community doesn't need additional flame wars or schisms.
Therefore I didn't push for it in the Board meetings, I just was
supportive to any initiative in that direction. This is perhaps the main
reason why I think I didn't add as much value to the Board as some of
you (and me!) might have expected.

I want to thank the other Board members for your work. I also appreciate
those who re-run, and I understand those who won't. While it is true
that being in the Board is not much work, it is an important service to
the community and I feel honored for being in last year. I also want to
thank to community for making that happen.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich
Levente Uzonyi
2012-01-28 12:42:31 UTC
Post by Casey Ransberger
Zoiks, do we not have any other takers?
I'm running for the board this year. I'm "fresh blood", an active
contributor, and I have some investments in Squeak. On the other hand, I'm
not a great communicator, and my free time is a bit limited nowadays.

Levente
Bert Freudenberg
2012-01-28 12:42:31 UTC
Post by Casey Ransberger
Zoiks, do we not have any other takers?
I'm running for the board this year. I'm "fresh blood", an active contributor, and I have some investments in Squeak. On the other hand, I'm not a great communicator, and my free time is a bit limited nowadays.
Levente
Yay! Thank you :)

- Bert -
Edgar J. De Cleene